Lance C. Pagliaro, MD, conducts research in kidney, prostate, bladder, testicular and penile cancers. Dr. Pagliaro specializes in the medical treatment of these conditions using immuno-oncology drugs and other targeted therapies.
Dr. Pagliaro is interested in how molecularly targeted drugs and immune checkpoint inhibitors can be combined for the treatment of advanced renal cell carcinoma and prostate cancer. He also studies novel drug combinations for the treatment of metastatic bladder cancer.
- Dedicated clinical trials for clear cell and nonclear cell renal cell carcinoma (treatment in first line)
- Immune checkpoint inhibitor plus radium-223 for men with prostate cancer bone metastases (clinical trial)
- Treatment for primary cancer of urethra and neuroendocrine bladder cancers
- International randomized clinical trial for men with penile cancer
- For patients with poor-risk germ-cell tumors: early intensification (first line), high-dose chemotherapy with stem cell transplant (second line) and clinical trial for second line
Significance to patient care
Dr. Pagliaro's research contributes to improved standard treatment of penile cancer with spread to lymph nodes, and patients are now frequently cured of the disease. He has developed a safe and highly effective chemotherapy treatment for patients with bladder cancer who are unable to receive the standard cisplatin-based chemotherapy. Dr. Pagliaro's studies of aggressive treatment for relapsed or high-risk germ cell tumors have made it possible to cure a higher percentage of such patients.
- Member, Bladder and penile cancer guidelines group, National Comprehensive Cancer Network, 2011-present
- Co-chair, Chemotherapy Subgroup, International Penile Advanced Cancer Trial (International Rare Cancers Initiative Study), 2012-present
- Professor of Oncology
- Clinical Fellowship - Hematology and Medical Oncology The University of Texas MD Anderson Cancer Center
- Clinical Fellowship - Hematology and Medical Oncology George Washington University Medical Center
- Clinical Residency - Internal Medicine George Washington University Medical Center
- Clinical Internship - Internal Medicine George Washington University Medical Center
- MD - Medicine Albany Medical College
- BA - Biology and Anthropology Amherst College